Friday, December 24, 2004

you're a mean one, mr. snow

It’s Christmas Eve and it feels very much like a holiday. I just made Jimbo’s omelets for my girlfriend and me. You may recall a while back I gave you my recipe. My girlfriend made a suggestion that might save on the ingredients that I should pass along to you. If there are only two of you and you are making only two omelets, cut up only half of each of the peppers and save the remaining halves of the peppers for next time or for use in salads. Since I have been busy cooking, I haven’t had a chance to read the news-—only the headlines. Two headlines jumped out at me almost enough to read the stories that accompanied them, but time didn’t allow. The first headline was:

Euro rises to fresh high Vs. dollar

Without reading the story I can assume that the US dollar has once again hit new lows against the Euro and other foreign currencies. I can assume the Treasury Department and, yes the Bush administration continue to allow the twin deficit demons, both trade and budget, to run amok. Where is Robert Rubin when we need him? Now, there was a man who knew how to manage an economy. Plus that, he never did the disruptive, and just plain mean stuff that Snow has done the last few days.

Another headline that caught my eye read:

Snow buries parts of the Midwest, South

I don’t even want to read the story that accompanies this headline to find out what shenanigans the Treasury Secretary is up to today. I have quit reading the stories about John Snow, only the headlines, because I don’t care to see details of the problems he is causing for people. You probably recall that two days ago he fell halfway across the country and then yesterday he turned an interstate into a parking lot. Now it looks as if he is burying parts of the country. My God, when will it end? I’m certain that if I were to read the story, I would find that the budget deficit he is amassing is burying parts of the country, if not the entire country, under piles of debt from which we will never be free until the tax-and-spend republicans are replaced by fiscally responsible leaders.

Now, I’m wondering what sorts of dastardly deeds can we expect to see in the next few days from the Treasury department. Will they make like the Grinch and steal Christmas? Will they put widows and orphans out in the cold? Will the Secretary take target practice at Santa’s reindeer as they make their annual journey from the North Pole? Will they send more American jobs to the third world until America itself is third world?

But, I digress. Today is Christmas Eve and it is time to think happy thoughts, so my present to you is that I will not say any more about Secretary Snow or the Bush administration for the next thirty-six hours. At the risk of offending those of you who may be God fearing, my wish to you is Season’s Greetings and Happy Holidays. My hope is that you and your loved ones have a wonderful holiday season.

As we say in Jimbo’s world, I just have two more words for you: MERRY CHRISTMAS.

No comments: