Wednesday, December 29, 2004

oh lord, grant me my prayer

I didn’t add anything to my weblog yesterday and I apologize to any of you who came by to see what pearls of wisdom I set down on virtual paper only to find there was nothing new-- just the same old crap. With the suicide bombings and the tragedy of the earthquake and tsunamis, it is hard to maintain my sense of humor and write anything vaguely humorous.

“Jimbo, your weblog is supposed to be funny?” is the question most of you are asking yourselves right now.

Ha, ha.

I guess if I could blame the natural disaster on the Bush administration, I would, but in good conscience I think they are free of blame from this one. I read yesterday a quote from Voltaire who, after an earthquake killed tens of thousands several hundred years ago rhetorically asked “What kind of God would do this?”

Of course you probably also recall Voltaire said, “If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.” Voltaire was one frog who could turn a clever phrase. But I think you can blame this one on God about as effectively as you can blame it on Bush. Stuff happens, and sometimes there is no one to blame. I guess all we can do is lament that it happened and give money to the relief effort, if we so choose.

In checking out the Voltaire quote with my good friend Mr. Bartlett, I found another one that I rather liked. Voltaire said, “I have never made but one short prayer to God, a very short one: ‘Oh Lord, make my enemies ridiculous,’ And God granted it.”

I can’t say that Bush is my enemy, but every picture I see of him, he looks ridiculous. Thank you, God.

In the news this morning I read that tickets to the inauguration are a hot item and are in short supply. The tickets are to be given to our representatives in Washington who will distribute them to us, but there will not be enough to go around. I won’t be needing one, which is good as no one has offered me one. Bush can put his hand on a bible and swear an oath (at which time I may, under my breath, also swear oaths); give a speech; dance until the wee hours and toast with champagne. Meanwhile, I won’t be partying. I will be focused like a laser on the news of the day; waiting for the President to make a misstep and then ridicule him, the President, and anyone else doing something at which I can poke fun.

Because it is rare when we can go for more than one day at a time without stooping to base humor here in Jimbo’s world.

No comments: