Wednesday, December 22, 2004

christmas, bloody christmas

There are so many stories in the news this morning that I can’t read them all. I can just scan the headlines. One headline in particular caught my eye.

Snow Falls From N.M. to Lower Great Lakes

I didn’t read the story but I assume that the Treasury Secretary, John Snow, must have tripped over something to fall that far. The secretary has been in the news a lot lately and obviously he has a big footprint, but I didn’t realize how big until I saw this headline. If he can’t avoid falling that far, himself, it’s no wonder that he has not been able to stop the dollar from falling against foreign currencies.

Another headline piqued my curiosity enough that I read the story.

Christians protest secular Christmas

The story pointed out that some disgruntled Christians are fed up with people taking references to Christ out of their holiday greetings. The article pointed out that the use of salutations like “Happy Holidays” and “Seasons Greetings” by businesses and individuals annoys some people. Public schools teaching about Hanukkah and Kwanzaa upsets some Christians. If you are a regular reader you are aware that I have emphasized that we all should celebrate Christmas as much or a little as we wish, and, although I may not have said it in so many words, in the way we all want to celebrate. I personally have no problem with using the expression “Merry Christmas,” and I have actually wished all of you a Merry Christmas on a couple of occasions (and will probably do it yet again). I do it, however, to the inclusion of all and to the exclusion of none.

This is the season to celebrate family and friends and the only person I am trying to convert is my girlfriend who is getting sick of my elation with the holidays this year and my inability to understand why everyone isn’t as elated as me. I will pick and choose the religious dogma with which I will celebrate this season. I will take the advice of the heavenly host that appears with an angel to shepherds in Luke, chapter 2, verse 14: “…on earth peace, good will toward men.” I will not sacrifice a pair of turtledoves or two young pigeons as requested in Luke, chapter 2, verse 24, unless, of course, they shit on my car.

I think the season, although it is undeniably based on religious dogma, should be celebrated as you see fit, as long as the rights of others are not violated. Call it Xmas, if you wish, but just watch your back. History is filled with examples of religious people being upset because their particular religious beliefs are not supported 100 percent by others, and frequently the end result is violence. Having the lord on your side doesn’t necessarily make you correct. You may recall that President Bush had the support of a large percentage of Christians in the last election, and through their support the devil himself, the demon Dubya, was returned to office.

We might not have Christmas at all if it weren’t for religious intolerance. You may also recall that 2000 years ago, so the story goes, there was a guy who challenged the religious status quo of the time. The moral majority of the time nailed him to the cross and from those humble beginnings Christmas eventually emerged.

If you think that Jimbo has gone off the deep end this time, allow me one more example. I would like to propose the name of a man who is probably one of the most devoutly religious people we know. He will do whatever it takes in the name of his god. His name is Osama Bin Laden.

Well, does that get you into the Christmas spirit? No? Well, let me add a postscript to my story. Christmas is bigger that the people that want you to celebrate it their way. It’s bigger than the demon Dubya and the towel-head Osama. It’s bigger than the corporate leaders who farm your jobs off to the third world. Christmas will be here when all of them and us are gone. Celebrate it the way you want. But make sure you tell all of you friends and families to enjoy the season. Maybe tell a total stranger the same thing. Use the greeting you prefer.

As for me, I think I will give my girlfriend a hug tonight and stop trying to convert her and I think I will stick with my familiar salutation for you. Merry Christmas to all of you and your loved ones. Happy Hanukkah and happy Kwanzaa, too.

Because here in Jimbo’s world we mean what we say and we say what we mean.

No comments: