Monday, December 27, 2004

i want a new drug

With all the bad news I have been reading this morning, notably suicide bombings and over 20,000 dead in Asia as result of earthquakes and tsunamis, it was good to see some positive news. I read an article on Yahoo! that indicated chocolate was good for the heart and also improved ones love life. If you are a regular reader you probably recall that back in November I wrote in my weblog about the amazing and wonderful things chocolate could do. My blog centered on a story that indicated researchers had found an ingredient in chocolate could cure coughs. At the time I suggested that I felt chocolate could do oh-so-much more. I believe I said the following:

Chocolate! Is there anything it can’t do? Maybe it can cure baldness or maybe some ingredient in chocolate could be used to cure erectile disfunction.

Okay, I know I said it. I went back and looked. At the time you read this you probably said to yourself, “Jimbo, we appreciate your informing us about the latest medical breakthroughs, but shouldn’t you stick to subject matter with which you are more familiar? Shouldn’t you stay within your core competencies? Shouldn’t you be grounded in and shouldn’t your intellectual capital be invested in your area of expertise, whatever that area might be? To which I would respond:

Yeah, what you said.

You people sure use a lot of big words and you have an uncanny grasp of intellectual concepts. I’ll bet you are all successful, have good taste and have lots of friends, and I’ll bet you are well respected in the community. I guess that’s why I like to write for you.

But I digress. The story I read today cites an Italian study in which women who ate chocolate frequently had more sexual desire and greater sexual function. “Chocolate,” says the story, “seems to make the mood more fulfilling.” It also states that “Chocolate seems to straddle the line between a food and a beneficial medicine.”

It was Ogden Nash who said, “Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.” It was Taj Mahal who added, “You can drink all the liquor down in Costa Rica.” Perhaps he would have been more accurate if he would have said, you can eat all the chocolate down at Russell Stover, but I guess that would have screwed up an otherwise good rhyme.

I guess it goes to show that all that time we spent plying women with alcohol would have been better spent giving them chocolate to get them to put out. I mean, all the stories I have heard about other guys trying to ply women with alcohol, which I would never have done, myself.

You are probably saying right now, “Jimbo, chocolate indeed seems to be the wonder drug (and confectionary) for which mankind has strived throughout his history, but what about the evil side effects—those awful zits?”

Relax, bon ami, and savor that bon-bon. The story goes on to say that the myth that chocolate causes acne is just a myth and “doesn’t seem to be true.”

I’m sure at this moment you are on your knees with your arms extended into the heavens shouting, “It’s a miracle! It’s a miracle!”

And, you are right. It tastes great, cures what ails you and makes you feel sexy. Now if we could just debunk those nasty myths about chocolate having all that fat and all those calories. If those outrageous lies could be proven to be incorrect, then life would be perfect. I don’t know about you, but there is a Christmas-tree-shaped candy dish downstairs with M&Ms in it and I think I need to wander downstairs and take my “medication.”

Because in Jimbo’s world we want to be healthy and we want to be on the cutting edge of medical science.

No comments: