Wednesday, December 15, 2004

a few million for your thoughts

I read on Yahoo! yesterday that the wife of the man who purchased the largest winning lottery ticket in history regrets that her husband ever bought the ticket. Apparently, the family’s lives have been miserable and they have endured a series of mishaps since they came into the money.

Her husband, who bought the ticket, has been charged with the assault of a bar manager and arrested twice for DUI since winning the jackpot. Their house, auto and office have been involved in thefts and a friend of a family member was found dead in their house. I’m a little disappointed that there were no reported incidents of the man cavorting with super models, but obviously he is happily married.

I know this leaves you saying to yourself, “Jimbo, you’re a good man for telling us all about the problems of the world, but why don’t you ever do something to fix these problems. Talk is cheap.”

Pardon my french, but au contraire, mon frere.

In this case, I have a solution. Do you remember in the movie The Exorcist how the exorcist lured the demon out of the little girl and sacrificed himself to save her? I’m willing to do the same to help these people in specific and society in general. My solution is for these people to give me the money they have left and I will take on the responsibility of spending it properly and relieving them of the pain of having to manage it.

“You’re a generous man, Jimbo,” you are obviously saying to yourself right now. “You’d be willing to make this kind of sacrifice for perfect strangers?”

Look in your dictionary right now and I’m sure beside the definitions of compassion, love and kindness you’ll see the line drawing of my less-than-handsome countenance. Sure, they are strangers, although they appear to be somewhat less than perfect, but how many of us are perfect? Yes, I am willing to help. Put that money in my hands and their demons will be exorcised and their lives will be back to normal and I will face those demons, myself. I will look at my reflection in the rear-view mirror of that new car I have been wishing for and say, “Do your damnedest, Satan, do your damnedest.”

When those super models come by offering their temptations of the flesh, Jimbo will tell them, “scat, be gone,” knowing that when the money is gone they will be, too. I will look out the window of the massive new house I have been lusting after and feel the joy of being able to do the good I was put here on this world to do.

Because we care for our fellow man here in Jimbo’s world.

No comments: