Tuesday, December 21, 2004

jimbo's nomination for person of the year

Yesterday I lamented Time magazine’s choice of President Bush as Person of the Year. I know many of you who read my weblog probably said, “Jimbo, we just don’t think you like Bush. Maybe it’s because he has a J-O-B unlike some blogger we know who shall remain nameless.”

My answer to that is, if you’re so smart, why aren’t you president? And, maybe I would have a job if he weren't president. But, I digress.

I advanced some other choices for person of the year yesterday, but you may recall I did so with tongue in cheek, while ticking your funny bone, with a grain of salt and while trying to resurrect any other old bromide I could. You may also recall that I said there were probably numerous others who did things in 2004 that would qualify them for person of the year, if one were willing to do the research. I still haven’t done extensive study into the subject, but in my reading this morning a familiar name came to the surface. I nominate Warren Buffett.

I know you are saying, “Jimbo, you big suck up. Didn’t you just write a letter to Mr. Buffett last week suggesting he nominate you to the board of directors of Berkshire Hathaway? We thought you had principles and here you are selling your soul for thirty pieces of silver. For shame!”

No, that’s not the case at all. In my lengthy professional career, I always made an effort to make my boss look good and theoretically, if I were named to the board of Berkshire Hathaway, as chairman, he would be the boss. Board members are independent, however, and if I serve I will be my own man, so this is not an attempt to suck up at all. Unfortunately, Mr. Buffett has yet to contact me. I am assuming that he has not yet seen my weblog over the huge stack of money he has in front of him.

I read this morning that Buffett is top on the list of the fifty most generous donors to charity this year. Buffett and his late wife gave two and a half billion dollars to a foundation they shared this year. The foundation supports reproductive choice and reduction of nuclear weapons.

“Aw, jeez,” you are probably saying, “Are you and Warren Buffett both bleeding heart liberals?”

Yea verily I say unto thee, please stop asking so many questions. I’m trying to blog, here.

It sounds to me that Buffett has a social conscience and he is willing to put his money where his mouth is. All of us should respect that, even those of you who favor more nuclear weapons. If you should care to lump us together, I suppose I could think of worse company in which to be included. You know I would donate my money to good causes, that is, if I had any money.

And you know, we care about the company we keep here in Jimbo’s world.

No comments: