Saturday, December 17, 2005

recipes for quick holiday meals

It’s a snowy Saturday afternoon and here at chez Jimbo’s girlfriend, we are staying inside and trying not to venture out into the cold. Knowing that we both are going to be hungry sometime in the next hour or two and knowing that we really don’t want to go outside if we can avoid it, I am making my famous chili for supper. You recall that I gave you the recipe for my chili earlier this year. Here is the link.

http://jimboandhisfriends.blogspot.com/2005/01/jimbos-chili-like-coat-from-cold.html

As I was putting the finishing touches on the repast, my girlfriend made a comment about holiday meals and suggested I could make chili again on Christmas Eve. I told her I could make it every night, if she wanted me to. I compared the chili to poker tournaments. I told her I occasionally play tournaments and usually don’t do well, but each time I play, I get a little better. I told her that if I made chili every night that I would improve a little each time.

It was about that time I realized to my horror that if I made chili every night, we’d get bored with it after a while. That’s when it occurred to me that I have an obligation to bring you good readers some quick and easy meals for these days leading up to the holidays, when you don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen.

I’ve decided that I’ll give you the basics of preparing my two super-quick favorites, cheeseburgers and fries and tacos and burritos, and I’ll show you a trick that can bring these items to your table at a substantial price savings.

First of all, you need to go to your local grocery store to pick up the needed ingredients to make these fast meals. First and foremost, make sure you stock up on plenty of drinks. I like the idea of the two-liter bottles which will give you several meals, depending on how many of you there are, but the aluminum cans work well too. You have the option of picking up whatever varieties of drinks that fit your palette. Remember, while you’re at the store to pick up some chips and dip and maybe some cheese cubes or blocks of cheese you can cube. Don’t forget to get a wide variety of crackers, too. And candy! Whatever you do, don’t forget some candy. As you know I am quite partial to M&Ms, plain, peanut and almond. If they make any other kinds I’m sure I like them, too. Maybe you should stop by the liquor store on the way home and pick up some wine to go with the cheese and some beer. I personally like Michelob Ultra in bottles, but keep in mind your own personal favorites and those of your family.

Anyway, after you’ve bought all that stuff, your budget may be strained, and here comes Jimbo to the rescue.

Cheeseburgers and fries

I’m going to give you the recipe for enough food for one person. Just multiply the amounts in the recipe by however many there are you are feeding.

First, you drive into the drive-through at Wendy’s and drive up to that post in front of the large illuminated menu and stop so the post is right outside the driver’s window of your vehicle. If you haven’t rolled down your window, do so at this time. You’ll hear a voice at this point that will say something like this:

“Welcome to Wendy’s. Would you like to try the combination today with the super-sized drink?”

Now, you are allowed to substitute other brands, so they might say McDonald’s, Hardee’s, Burger King, etc. No matter where you are, however, the initial spiel will be approximately the same. And, hell no, you don’t want the super combination deal, because when they throw in the drink, the cost of the meal goes up. That’s why I had you buy your drinks earlier. By buying your drinks at the supermarket you are going to save a butt load of money. But, just remain calm at this point and say:

“No, thank you. I would like the single with cheese, with lettuce and tomato, and a regular order of fries.”

The voice on the speaker will ask, “Can I get you a drink with that?
You remain firm, but polite at this point and simply reply, “No, thank you.”

The voice at the other end will then say something like, “Would you like mayonnaise on that cheeseburger, sir (or madam, if you aren’t male)?”

Dear God, no! This is America and generations of Americans have died so you can have the freedom not to eat your cheeseburger with mayonnaise on it. I believe it is your constitutional right—no, your constitutional duty—not to eat mayonnaise on your cheeseburger. But, instead of taking the flag and waving it over your head as you swear oaths, remain under control and simply say, “No, thanks.”

The voice coming out of the speaker will now ask, “May we supersize those fries?”

Perhaps, if your are really hungry you could say yes, but I would recommend that you stick with your original plan and politely say, “No, thanks.”

At this juncture, you are probably saying to yourself, “What kind of diabolical scheme has Jimbo gotten me into? Is it too late to turn and run? Wouldn’t it seem a better plan to fall to ones knees, raise ones arms to the heavens and shout to our deity to deliver us from this evil?”

Relax. You are home free. The next thing you hear the voice say will be, “That will be $3.49. Please drive through.”

At this point, you just drive to the window, exchange your money for your food, drive home and eat it. Wash down your repast with the drinks you bought earlier and you have just had a quick meal and saved money doing it.

Tacos and burritos

Drive to you local Taco Bell. You may have some other options, but from a financial point of view, you can’t find a less expensive meal than the one you’ll get at Taco Bell. Again, as with the previous recipe, it feeds one person. Multiply by the number of people you are going to feed. Drive up the illuminated menu and there will be a post with a speaker next to the driver’s window of your car. The voice at the other end will say the following or something similar:

“Good evening and welcome to Taco Bell. Would you like to try the super combination with three taco supremes, one burrito supreme and a super sized drink?”

You reply, “No thanks. I’d like two crunchy tacos and a bean burrito, please.”

The voice will respond, “Would you like anything to drink with that?”

You answer, no thanks and they give you your total and tell you to drive to the window. Your total will be less than three dollars per person. You can’t do any better than that. You take your tacos and burrito home and eat them, washing them down with the drinks you bought earlier.

Obviously, with either of these recipes, you can make some changes. Just be sure not to order any kind of a combination with a drink, or you’ll defeat the whole purpose of the economy we’ve just achieved. You’ll find both of these recipes to be quick and convenient, economical and good.

Just think about old Jimbo and all the time and money he saved you as you nourish yourself and your loved ones. Happy holiday eating.

No comments: