Sunday, December 11, 2005

bush wins heisman?

I saw a headline on Yahoo! this morning that made me rub my eyes. But when I wiped the sleepy from my ocular orbs, it still read the same. I didn’t have time to read the story, but here was the headline.

Bush Wins Heisman

Now, for those of you not familiar with college sports, the Heisman is the award for the top college football player in the nation. I haven’t followed college football (nor professional football for that matter) this year, so I didn’t even know who the candidates were, but it was always my assumption that the person who won the award had to be a current college player. You can bet I won’t start following college football anytime soon if they are going to hand out this prestigious to the President of the United States.

Back in my day, it took a really special athlete to win this award. Dubya is way too old to be able to strap on the pads and go out there every week. I am just concerned there were some shenanigans in the Heisman voting this year—probably something like what happened in the 2000 Presidential election.

Hang your head in shame, New York Athletic Club. Hang your head in shame.

I am tempted to read this story to find out how he pulled it off, but I can’t dignify this injustice with any more of my time. I’m sure there were some fine athletes who deserved this award more than our President and it is a pity one of them didn’t achieve their due recognition.

At least that’s our opinion here in Jimbo’s world.

No comments: