Sunday, December 18, 2005

lullaby of ebay land

I had an Ebay account once. As a matter of fact, I probably still do. I just haven’t logged on for a few years, since the primary reason I use Ebay is to find out what certain items are currently selling for. I can do that without logging on.

It is my opinion that Ebay is probably the best thing that has happened to commerce and e-commerce in the twentieth and so far in the twenty-first century. However, there is one caveat. Ebay has opened up previously unexplored territory in person-to-person and business-to-business and business to person online commerce. In doing so, it has unleashed bands of desperados stalking the Internet, trying to steal everyone’s money in the name of Ebay. Using the marketplace provided by Ebay these low lives have corrupted this Internet swap meet much the same way AIDS messed up free love.

Every week or two I get a very official-looking e-mail from Ebay complete with logos and not distinguishable from the official site. These e-mails tell me my account has been suspended for some little peccadillo I have foisted upon someone and asking me to respond with my user name and password. The e-mail I received today tells me that I ripped off someone by selling them a Pep Boys gift certificate that was no good. Since I have never purchased or sold on Ebay, this is likely not a valid complaint, or e-mail for that matter.

I once went on Ebay’s site to try to tell them about this, but the mechanism isn’t there to do it. You have to figure Ebay knows it is happening, but they obviously are powerless to do anything about it.

Many of you are probably asking right now, “Jimbo, what do you want us to do about this?”

I don’t know. Nothing, I suppose. I just needed to bitch about it, I guess.

Bitching is something we do well, here in Jimbo’s world.

No comments: