Monday, March 21, 2005

"legal" briefs

Earlier this year my son told me that Boston Legal was one of his favorite television programs and that James Spader is one of the best actors on television. I have started watching the program, and my son is right, as usual.

Last night’s episode was a particularly excellent program with James Spader going to Texas to defend a man on death row, whom we learn is probably innocent. I tend to want to believe the anti-Texas bias of last night’s show was probably specifically aimed at a particular Texan, against whom Jimbo has occasionally leveled a criticism or two. I couldn’t help but note that in his defense argument, Spader pointed out the defendant’s original lawyer was not competent because he had problems with cocaine and booze (wink, wink). Now who is it that could have inspired that characterization?

Anyway, if you didn’t see last night’s episode, or didn’t TiVo it, you may want to try to catch it on rerun when they show it again. My hat is off to David E. Kelley for this program. I was very impressed when I was doing research for this blog that Kelley has been involved in some very high profile series. How about L.A. Law, Boston Public, Picket Fences, The Practice and Chicago Hope, to name a few of the shows in which he has participated, and there are many others.

Anyway, it’s good to see that someone else appreciates Dubya as much as Jimbo does, and that someone has a massively larger audience.

Because in Jimbo’s world we appeal to a much smaller niche audience.

No comments: