Friday, November 09, 2012

where I came from


I have had the bible open most of the day and, amongst doing some house repairs and washing the car, I have been trying to glean some information and trying to find out about myself.

Many long-time readers are probably asking, “Jimbo, didn’t you, years ago, in the words of the late Graham Parsons, talk about unbuckling that old bible-belt and headed for that Nevada desert town?”

Still others are probably asking whether, as my body is wracked with age more every day, I am following the lead of the great W. C. Fields who, on his death bed was observed reading his bible.  When questioned he responded that he was “Looking for loopholes.”

Well, as I have always believed the bible to be the source of most modern literature—or, at the very least—an important stopping-off point of most of the plotlines we read today, and I have quoted from the bible often in these pages.

However, today I have the bible open to some once-blank pages separating the new and Old Testament and I am reading notes about my family lineage jotted down by my grandfather sixty-some years ago.  Unfortunately, my grandfather died fifty-nine years ago, so he couldn’t pull out his ipad and go online and search.   He had to rely on word of mouth and reading books.  Fortunately I have the internet and I am able to search for the names in the good book and I am getting hit after hit.  There is so much out there on line that my only problem is that I am getting too many online entries to sort through.  I am sure, or at least pretty sure, that I am going to be able to find out where I came from.

I probably won’t be able to go back as far as that creature that crawled out of the ocean and on to dry land to see if he kept the same brand of beer in the refrigerator in his man-cave as I drink, but I am hoping to find out about myself.  Maybe I can find out why I turned out the way I did.

If I find anything interesting you will be the first to know.

No comments: