Tuesday, November 13, 2012

it just gets weirder


Just when I see something so weird that I think I have seen it all and I am saying to myself, it can’t get any weirder than that, well, it does and it leaves me asking myself why I keep telling myself that.

I read a story today about a woman in Gilbert, AZ, who was so unhappy about Obama being reelected that she ran over her husband with a car, injuring him critically.  The story goes that the woman was so concerned that Obama will cause suffering for her family that she had to chase her husband with the car and run him down.

I am not that familiar with Gilbert, but I know of a couple of people who live there and I gather it is an upscale suburb because I understand they are wealthy people.  I would hazard a guess that raising taxes on the wealthy might have been the primary motivation for this automotive attempted homicide. 

Apparently the reason for the vehicular attack was that the husband failed to vote for Romney.  Had the husband voted for Obama, I’m sure there are a lot of nuts out there that might argue the attack was justified, because there are a lot of nuts out there saying a lot of crazy stuff.  However, the husband apparently failed to vote, period.

For the sake of argument, I am going to assume that both the woman driver and her target husband are Arizona residents.  Because Romney won Arizona and all its electoral votes an additional vote by the husband would have had no affect on the outcome of the election.  I am not cutting the guy slack because every vote counts and he should be ashamed of himself for not voting—even if it were potentially going to be a vote for Romney.  However, in this case, his additional vote would not have changed the results.  As unforgivable as not voting is, however, it is not a reason to inflict physical violence, and, in this case it would not provide justification for his maiming and almost homicide.

I think maybe the real story is that there are a lot of nuts out there saying a lot of nutty things, before and during election season and they are continuing after the election.

When we say seriously nutty things we have to remember that there are people out there who will hear them, believe them and act on them, even if their actions result in senseless violence.  Not all of those people have guns, but many of them have cars.

No comments: