Tuesday, January 25, 2005

jimbo's strawberry daiquiri: refreshing as a warm spring breeze

On a cold winter night, probably the last thing you think of is a cool drink, but I have one that will warm you inside and make you think of better days and warm tropical climes. It will make those dark, frigid winter evenings pass quickly as a warm breeze on a late May afternoon. Of course, I’m talking about Jimbo’s strawberry daiquiri. The concoction I am about to describe contains alcohol, so, if you have a problem with the stuff, you may want to stay away from this recipe. I’ll give you the warning in advance that I did last month about big daddy H when I did the blog about mainlining heroin to the brain. Don’t bother looking back. I’m just making a joke. I didn’t really write about shooting up heroin; I wrote about Jimbo’s chili, which is just about as addictive as heroin, but without the social stigma. Anyway, here is what you need to make a blender full of these things. If you don’t have a blender, stop right now, because this adventure will go nowhere without the proper equipment.

10 oz Bacardi strawberry daiquiri mix
16 oz Sliced frozen strawberries (sugar added)
1 oz Lime juice
A bunch of ice cubes
Bacardi Superior Puerto Rican Rum (Dry and smooth)

If the guy at the liquor store tries to sell you something labeled “inferior,” don’t buy it. Stick with Bacardi Superior. It will show you have class and good taste and you are a bon vivant. Plus that, you’ll respect yourself in the morning.

The Bacardi strawberry daiquiri mix has a recipe on the side of the can and I’m sure using it will result in a fine drink, but my recipe is modified from that one and I think it yields a better cocktail, plus it will give you more to drink.

First, you get out the daiquiri mix and strawberries and let them thaw for a while. Then, set up your blender and then open the Bacardi strawberry daiquiri mix and dump it into the blender. Then, do the same with the strawberries. After you do this, the daiquiri mix container and the strawberry container will have some residue in them. I put an ounce of lime juice in the daiquiri mix container and swish it around to pick up some of the residue. Then I pour it into the strawberry container and get some of that residue before dumping the lime juice into the blender. You know, good to the last drop. If your berries and daiquiri mix are frozen pretty solidly, put the lid on the blender and give the mixture a few seconds of grinding to smooth it out. Then I pour the rum into the daiquiri mix container until it is about a half full of rum (which will be about five ounces), swish it around a little to get the rest of the mix residue and then pour the rum into the strawberry container to get the rest of that residue mixed in with the rum. Then pour the rum into the blender. If you have a normal sized blender, it will be about a third full at this point. Add ice to the blender until it is about two-thirds full. Put the lid on the blender and put the pedal to the metal. When the mixture is uniform, turn off the blender, open the lid and pour yourself a stiff one. I find that it is always better to make daiquiris when there is someone else with whom to share them, so I have never made strawberry daiquiris unless Jimbo’s girlfriend can share them with me.

I find the imbibing of strawberry daiquiris to be an almost social ritual, and if you are drinking alone, and like George Thorogood, you prefer to be by yourself, then daiquiris are probably not the drink de jour. But if you want to party, and you are in good company, Jimbo’s strawberry daiquiri may just be the drink for you, and yours.

A brief aside. These things would probably taste the same if you drank from one of those plastic cups you get from your local convenience store, but to keep in the spirit of the occasion, I find that if you drink them from a clear, stemmed glass of some sort, it makes you look sophisticated. God knows, we all want to appear suave. Save the plastic cups for the George Thorogood moments, when you are drinking alone and having one bourbon, one scotch and one beer (or several).

So, my friends, raise your glass to your friend or lover, enjoy yourself and try to shake off the bite from the winter cold. And, as you drink, think about your buddy, Jimbo, and raise a glass to him, too.

Because in Jimbo’s world we believe it is important to drink to your good health as often as we can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is my first comments wish all the best my friend.