Thursday, January 19, 2006

drinking to our health

I know that I’ll be sipping a strong one tonight. I also know it will be making me healthy. And, most of all, I know that if I were a religious man, I would cast my eyes toward the heavens and shout:

Thank you, Jesus!

Not being a religious man, I probably will skip the last one. The strong drink I am referring to is cocoa and you can bet your sweet cup of chocolate-colored beverage that instead of drinking one to your health, I’ll be drinking for my health.

Eureka! I read today more compelling evidence that chocolate is, indeed, man’s best friend. It seems that information presented by the National Academy of Sciences confirms that an ingredient in cocoa called flavanols offers cardiovascular health benefits to those who ingest the stuff. Their study presents information that a group of islanders off the coast of Panama, who imbibe large quantities of cocoa, have very low incidence of high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease.

If this isn’t reason to eat and drink oneself into a chocolate frenzy, then we’re not as dedicated to health as we let on. Perhaps you remember previous occasions where I have extolled the benefits of chocolate. Maybe these will remind you.

http://jimboandhisfriends.blogspot.com/2005/03/sweet-dreams-of-healthy-lifestyle.html

http://jimboandhisfriends.blogspot.com/2004/12/i-want-new-drug.html

http://jimboandhisfriends.blogspot.com/2004/11/cure-for-all-ills.html

Okay, I guess I have chocolate on my mind too often. But sometimes, if you listen to a man long enough, his passion will come to the surface. If you notice my Alfred Hitchcock-like profile, you know my passion runs deep.

But that’s just the way it is, here in Jimbo’s world.

No comments: