Friday, January 06, 2006

howard's way

Last night I saw Howard Stern on Larry King’s show on CNN. I’m not a huge Howard Stern fan, but the brother has helped put a centavo or two into my pocket, and he has the potential of adding another one or two, so I watch when I see him being interviewed on television. I’ve seen him on Letterman a couple of times and once on 60 Minutes.

By the way, Howard and I don’t have any financial partnerships, it is just that I started watching the stock of Sirius Satellite Radio (Nasdaq: SIRI) late last year and I have been in and out several times since then and have turned a profit. You may recall I mentioned Sirius stock in a blog about some beavers a year ago November.

http://jimboandhisfriends.blogspot.com/2004/11/more-money-than-brains.html

Had you bought and held on my recommendation, you would have doubled your money. Unfortunately, Jimbo didn’t buy and hold, but fortunately he has been a player.

The one thing I have noticed about whenever Howard is on television, he seems to have free reign to tout his new employer, Sirius, and to hype their service and their products. One cannot buy that kind of publicity, yet Howard seems to be allowed to turn his interviews into infomercials. No wonder that it was announced yesterday that Sirius has given Howard $220 million worth of stock. He’s earned it by bringing along his audience to pay radio. He has made it, “in spades,” as he told Larry King last night.

If I were with the competition, I would be concerned about Howard’s ability to hype his product for free, but I’m not, so I should be happy.

“Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars,” as Howard says. Oh, wait! That was Casey Kasem.

When the hype is flowing, sometimes we get caught up in it, too, here in Jimbo’s world.

No comments: