Saturday, October 29, 2005

a sale, a move and a cleaning

Yesterday was kind of an important day for me.

Many months ago I wrote a blog saying that I had sold my house; my son had taken a job in another city and he was putting in the long hours. Here it is.

http://jimboandhisfriends.blogspot.com/2005/05/good-news-bad-news.html

Well, a lot of things changed, but I didn’t record them for posterity, as I should have. The buyer on my house changed her mind at the last minute and didn’t show up for closing, so my house didn’t get sold. I got $500 in earnest money the buyer forfeited, but I later found her buyer’s agent had fronted her half of it, so the balance came out of his own pocket. A lesson learned for him, and me, too. When one is presented a contract and the earnest money is a photocopy of twenty-five twenty-dollar bills, it’s time to be suspicious.

My son had the good sense to realize that the twelve hours a day he was working were not what he was looking for and took another job, closer to home. He’s still putting in nine or ten a day, but time-and-a-half looks good to a young man. We’ve all been there. I encourage him to stop and smell the roses, but you know kids. They’re going to do what they’re going to do.

Anyway, yesterday I took a day of vacation. In the morning I went and signed some papers and they gave me a big check. I won’t be making payments on a house in which I don’t reside, anymore. It is sold and the couple that bought it seemed really nice. I’m glad I had the landscaper cut the grass the day before yesterday, so they can move in without having to do that for a week.

After I made sure the money they gave me was resting comfortably in my bank account, I spent the rest of the day helping my son and his girlfriend move to a place that is only about ten miles from chez Jimbo’s girlfriend. They had a bunch of their friends helping and it went really smooth. Jimbo is at that stage of his career where he let the young people do the heavy lifting and he engaged his intellectual capital on things like hooking up the washer and dryer and drinking beer. That said, however, I must have lifted something because I was used up when we moved furniture out of chez Jimbo’s girlfriend last night. I am feeling a little sore this morning.

By the way, we are not moving out of chez Jimbo’s girlfriend, we are just preparing to have her carpet cleaned. “Carpet cleaning,” I know many of you are asking right now and wondering if Jimbo is getting the job done, man-wise? Just relax. Jimbo is doing his share, but right now the carpet we walk on could stand some freshening up.

On the way home last night, the highlight of the evening was when my car turned over 200,000 miles. It seems one always remembers the mileposts, like where I was when I turned over 100,000 and where I was when I turned 100,000 in the truck I sold recently. My son was behind the wheel of the truck when it turned 200,000. Sometimes, I remember, I was not looking at the odometer at the exact moment and later I noticed the vehicle had 100,002 or something like that. Last night I saw 199,999, and I watched it turn over.

Yesterday was another eventful day in Jimbo’s world and we wonder what today will bring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.