Sunday, June 19, 2005

up jumped the devil

They say the devil is in the details, but I’m convinced the devil is in the next room over from me. And I’m certain he has stopped by Romania for a visit. First, I’ll explain locally and then globally.

Jimbo’s girlfriend needs eight hours of sleep; Jimbo needs seven. During the week my girlfriend averaged seven hours a night as did Jimbo. On Sunday morning she is making up for the hours she missed during the week while I am awake and blogging after getting in my seven hours. So, I am trying to be quiet and keeping all the lights off, except the one on the desk in my office and the one in the range hood (so I could see to make coffee). We have two bedrooms upstairs at chez Jimbo’s girlfriend—one is her office; one is mine. We sleep in the master bedroom, downstairs.

Anyway, the coffee is brewing and I haven’t had my first cup yet and suddenly there is a loud noise in Jimbo’s girlfriend’s office. I recognize the noise. It’s the four-note song that Windows XP plays for you when it is shutting down. We both have XP and I hear it a couple times a day. But this time, it’s loud. I hope it didn’t wake up the little woman.

I walked into her office and her computer has shut down and re-booted itself. She must have left it on overnight. She plays CDs on her computer while she is using it and so he has the speaker volume turned up. Why is her laser printer sitting on the floor instead of in its cubbyhole in her desk? Obviously, Satan has been here. Do your best, Satan. I know you exist and I respect your power, but I do not fear you. Although, I did jump just a little bit when you made XP blare its evil little song throughout the dark and silent house.

Fifteen minutes later I went back into her office and there was a short message scrolling across the screen. Was Satan trying to tell me something? What was the cryptic message that the devil was trying to get to me? Would it change my life? Would it change the world forever? Would this office become a shrine for devil-worshipers throughout the world? Would this computer monitor forever be a portal to the underworld? What was the message? It said:

Jimbo and Jimbo’s girlfriend forever.

Oh, wait a minute. That’s the scrolling marquee screen saver I put on her computer last year. Never mind.

Oh, I’m sure there is some worldly explanation as to why the computer re-booted. Perhaps Jimbo’s girlfriend’s son, who seems to know a thing or two about computers, has set up some kind of program that does maintenance on the computer at regular intervals. At this time, though, I’m not going to rule out demonic possession. In the words of the song Open Up Your Heart,

My mommy told me something a little girl should know
It’s all about the devil and I’ve learned to hate him so.

While I’m sure the majority of you are leaning toward the computer maintenance rather than the Prince of Darkness, perhaps the following will cause you to rethink what the devil is capable of doing.

I read this morning that in Romania, a priest is alleged to have ordered the execution of a nun by crucifixion with the explanation that she was possessed by the devil. There is a photo of the priest along with the story and the priest has those “Charles Manson” eyes.

Apparently the nun had been critical of something the priest said and so it was concluded that demonic possession was present. While some may say that when she disagreed with the dictates of a religious conservative she should have expected to be butchered, I say this is taking religious conservativism too far. At her funeral there was thunder from a storm coming in and the priest said the storm was proof that God’s will had been done.

Yeah, right.

I can’t help but draw a parallel between this and another crucifixion. In St. Luke’s version of the crucifixion of Christ, I believe I read there was also a storm at his demise. In Luke, chapter 23, we read the following verses.

44 And it was about the sixth hour, and there was darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour.
45 And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst.


In St. Mark’s version, he says the veil was “rent in twain from the top to the bottom.” (Mark, chapter 16, verse 38). Now, I ask you, does that not sound like a storm? And, was it proof that God’s will had been done?

The priest was quoted as saying that he was justified in what he did, but said he needed a good lawyer. If God exists, and I hope he does, this brother is going to need something more than a good lawyer. Because when judgment day comes, the man is going to have to plead his own case, and I’m afraid he is going to have a fool for a lawyer.

At least that what we think, here in Jimbo’s world.

No comments: