Sunday, May 22, 2005

"highbrow" humor for lowbrow jimbo

Last night we went to see Bill Maher in Kansas City, MO. It was great. He had us laughing all night.

He is my ex-wife’s favorite comedian so I hadn’t given him any attention, figuring if he was her favorite, I probably wasn’t going to like him. That is, until the last few months when we switched our Showtime to HBO and I have started to watch Real Time religiously. We, of course, TiVo it. A couple of weeks ago, the Lieutenant-Governor of Maryland sarcastically told Bill, on Real Time, that Bill had convinced him he was “highbrow.” I was convinced well before that.

It appears that Bill and I have similar opinions when we critique the performance of our sitting government, and our loss of freedom at the hands of the evil monotheists-- the religious right and its shadowy mirror-image twin, Osama Bin Laden.

I particularly enjoyed a segment of his performance where he translated hip-hop song lyrics into “white.” He referred to that segment as “Master P’s Theater.” Jimbo has told people for years that twenty years from now hip-hop will be mainstream and you’ll hear it in elevators. I have said that the rappers will all move to Branson and have shows down there. I have specifically said that eventually there will be a venue down there called Master P’s Theater.

Bill initially joked that he was in Kansas, and the audience immediately admonished him that he was in Missouri, which he obviously knew. The Uptown Theater, where he was performing is a good two miles across the state line from Kansas, although I would wager probably half the audience or more were fellow Kansans. Fortunately, Bill didn’t dwell too much on how backward we Kansan’s are.

Anyway, Bill’s show was top-notch, and I’d be happy to see him again, if the opportunity arose. It’s nice to yuk it up at Dubya’s expense.

Because we like laugh or two here in Jimbo’s world.

No comments: