Sunday, February 13, 2005

the forgotten: no. blockbuster: definitely not

Last night Jimbo and his girlfriend rented The Forgotten at Blockbuster. I have a brief review of the former and a comment on the latter. My review of The Forgotten is as follows:

Forget it.

And my comment on Blockbuster? I think it is great that they have done away with late fees and you can keep their movies longer without penalty, but I believe they have made a tactical error from an infrastructural standpoint. By that, I am speaking specifically to their supply chain management (something about which Jimbo knows a thing or two). Because some of their customers will keep movies longer without the fear of late fees, the inventory on their shelves needs to be sized to match the longer customer retention times, notably the inventories of popular movies. Either they have underestimated the popularity of their new program or they failed to match their inventory to the demand. In a perfect world there is enough to go around for everyone. In the imperfect world of Blockbuster, or at least the one we go to, there is not. We rented The Forgotten because the more popular movies that were not in stock when we wanted to rent them last week were again not there when we went to rent them this week. Fortunately, last week we were able to find a movie, The Door In The Floor, which I liked a lot and said so on these virtual pages last Sunday. This week, we were not as lucky. As a customer, we should get what we want and as a provider of material or services, Blockbuster should be able to put supply into our demand, and they should fill our demand with supply that we want.

As far as unpopular movies go, it seems that they have those in stock. They have the Britney Spears movie Crossroads, but they don’t have the one with Ralph Macchio and Joe Seneca. I have somehow misplaced my VHS copy and I want my girlfriend to see it. I want her to understand who Robert Johnson was before I expose her to The Texas Sessions, music for which some people need to acquire a taste as with fine wine. I have also misplaced the title for my truck. If anyone knows what I did with them, please let me know.

The elimination of late fees was a very good idea; the execution of the promotion has not been so successful.

Hang your head in shame, Blockbuster. Hang your head in shame.

If any of you at Blockbuster need any more advise, please e-mail me.

In Jimbo’s world we are full of it (unsolicited advice, that is).

No comments: