Friday, August 31, 2012

murder, or just a joke?


Rumor has it that Karl Rove wants to kill Todd Akin.
 
Actually, he made a joke that implied that he would not want to be investigated closely if Akin were found mysteriously murdered.

Ha, ha.

Actually, Rove as the assassin who actually carries the gun and pulls the trigger defies credibility, so let’s not even think of trying to pin physical violence on the rotund one.  I think his point is that what Todd Akin said about “legitimate rape” and the black eye it gave the Missouri Senatorial candidate is an embarrassment to the Grand Old Party as well as it is to modern, civilized society.

I know an artist who once did a series of sculptures based on angels.  He invited me to the showing of the sculptures at a local art gallery and, during the conversation, I asked him about his choice of subject matter and whether he believed in angels or not.  The conversation moved from whether or not he believed in angels to the subject of religion and faith.  He told me that one who has faith need not require physical proof. I thought about that conversation this morning as I read the story about Rove and Akin and I thought there was a point to be made about faith.  The definition of faith I found today is as follows.

Faith: belief that is not based on proof

I watched RNC coverage this week and I was surprised by a lack of specifics and I keep coming back to the statement by Todd Akin. What I heard from the Republicans this week were vague and flowery stories about a beautiful place they are going to take us, and they don’t know where it is or how we are going to get there.  We just need to have faith.  We just need to believe.  We just need to drink their Kool-Aid.

Akin was basically reiterating the position of the Republican platform when he inserted his foot into his mouth.  I think, however, since it is not a purely religious issue, and he does represent the show-me state, he was compelled to attach some cold, hard facts, rather than simply to rely on faith.  I think he got caught up in the moment and tried to explain his position by making up some cold, hard “facts.”  Unfortunately, his “facts” were more a wish rather than something he could prove.  His “facts” were based on his faith that his opinion had to be right, so he needed to provide proof for those of little faith.

He and his fellow Republicans are going to take us to a much better place:  A place where everything is pure and good.  And how are they going to get us there?

They’ll make it up as they go along.

No comments: