Saturday, November 04, 2006

one man; one vote

Several weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon, I was lying on the couch, resting my eyes after a long weekend of working around the house. I injured my left hand a couple of months ago and I’ve been an invalid since, so any physical work is a problem for me, so, like I said, I was resting. I was awakened by a knock on the door. I was too sleepy to realize what I was doing and I got up and answered it. Fortunately, it was not a Jehovah’s Witness at the door.

It was, however, a candidate for state representative and since I had answered the door, I was committed to talk to him. I figured I’d give him some crap and get rid of him in a hurry, but I had to wake up, first. I stepped out on the porch and listened to him while I rubbed the sleep from my eyes. He told me he was against negative campaigning and he wanted to bring a positive message. He seemed like an OK guy to me. After I woke up, I asked him some economic questions and I realized immediately he knew what he was talking about. He told me he owned an economic consulting firm, so that probably explained it. I told him if he stayed positive he had my vote. We have received several mailings from him since and he has kept his word.

Yesterday, we received a mailing from his opponent that blamed the gentleman I met that Sunday afternoon for about every crisis that has ever affected this nation. Remember that time that Howard Dean got all excited and started yelling? I guess the guy I spoke to was responsible for that, somehow. He is also responsible for all the social problems this country has. I considered this pretty impressive, considering he is running for this office for the first time.

We threw the mailing from his opponent into the trash. I’ve pretty much had my fill of negative ads this political season. It is a shame that we will consistently elect the candidate who runs the dirtiest ads. I guess that the result is that we get the kind of government we deserve.

All I know is that one candidate promised me he would stay positive and he has kept his word. Come Tuesday, I’ll go to the polls and keep my word, too. After all, we have a deal. Then, we’ll let the chips fall where they may.

At least that’s our plan, here in Jimbo’s world.

No comments: