Tuesday, July 30, 2013

conversation with a hummingbird


Apparently I have become fluent in the language of hummingbirds.  I had a face-to-face with one this morning.

Okay, I don’t think he knew what I was saying and I don’t know what he said to me, if anything, but we had a “moment.”

I guess I had better explain.

Several years ago my dentist suggested I use an electric sonic toothbrush and I have been using one almost every morning since.  The rest of the day and before bed I use the old manual type that requires me to push it across my teeth with my own muscle power.  After a year or so of watching myself in the mirror for the three minutes or so that the sonic toothbrush runs, I became bored so now I walk around the house while I brush my teeth.  I do things like pick up dirty laundry and throw it into the hamper or look out the windows.  Today, if you will pardon my French, I looked out the front window at the cul-de-sac in front of chez Jimbo, over the tops of the flowering cherry bushes that landscape the front of the house.

To my surprise, there was a hummingbird tapping a leaf of the bush with his beak, or proboscis, or whatever that long pointy thing hummingbirds have protruding from their face.  To my greater surprise, he turned his attention from the leaf, made a ninety-degree turn to his left and looked me square in the eye.  I have to think that he thought I was saying something to him because of the vibes coming off the toothbrush.  There was that brief moment of surprise on his face (and he probably saw the same on mine) because he just eyed me for a couple of seconds and flew away. 

I hope my toothbrush didn’t say any four-letter hummingbird words because I hope to continue the conversation some day.

No comments: