Monday, December 18, 2006

reefer, man

It was reported today that America’s biggest cash crop is not corn. It’s not oats. It’s not soybeans. No, it’s not even wheat.

Do you know what it is?

No! It’s not ginseng, either. No, not crabgrass.

It’s grass.

No, not that kind.

It’s marijuana. Here is the story.

smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette

According to the story, our country produces $35 billion worth of ganja per year, while we produce $23 billion worth or corn and $7 billion worth of wheat.

Oh, wow, man, that’s a lot of doobie.

You may remember that your mother told you to eat your vegetables. As a country we produce $11 billion worth of veggies. Apparently, we weren’t paying much attention to mommy, because we are growing (and I would assume, consuming) more than three times that amount of wacky weed.

There is something that makes me wonder about this story, however. There are a number of people in this country that grow wheat. They put their profits on their tax returns and report that information to the government. The same is true with growers of corn and vegetables. I am wondering how many people write “marijuana farmer” as their occupation on their tax returns? Consequently, I am wondering how the authors of this study are able to determine the correct amount of marijuana grown.

Almost everyone I know eats things made out of corn and wheat and they eat vegetables regularly. Back in the day, I knew people who were rumored to partake of the fruit of the cannabis plant, but I have to admit I know of very few today. I’m certain they exist. My assumption is that there are probably not as many as there were in olden times who puff on hemp cigarettes.

So I have to think the data are questionable as to whether there really is $35 billion of wacky tobacco being produced and consumed. It just makes one wonder whether we can believe everything we read. Or maybe the way to phrase the question would be is there anything we won't believe?

At least that’s our thought, here in Jimbo’s world.

No comments: