Friday, October 20, 2006

american stars and bars

I sat at an online poker table last night and many of the cities of the people around the table had very “American-sounding” names. I suggested out loud that while they may have been Europeans trying to convince everyone they were bad-asses from the US, trying to look defiant, I suspected that many of these players were actually Americans.

I argue that poker is an American game, and although some foreigners have gotten good at it, the true masters are from the good old USA. It takes something of an entrepreneurial spirit and mindset to master the game, and someday I hope to master it. The game is something Osama Bin Laden and his republican friends and supporters in congress will never understand. It is an American thing; so don’t ever expect Bush or Chaney to have a clue.

It is the same independent spirit that makes us do what they tell us we’re not supposed to do. It’s the same American mindset that made Bostonians throw British tea into the harbor two hundred and some odd years ago. When the government tries to take America away from us, you had better bet, that we’ll be telling them, “Hell no, you aren’t.”

And even when the chips are down and when it is time to cut and run, or stay and fight and make a bet on America, you can probably guess what will be the next words out of my mouth:

“I’m all in.”

And I won’t be the only one. No, not by a long shot.

At least, that is the wager here in Jimbo’s world.

No comments: