Wednesday, August 17, 2005

cooking with pam

Last night we watched some of the celebrity roast of Pamela Anderson. Because it was on Comedy Central we figured it would be funny and we could enjoy a little light-hearted humor. Unfortunately, I didn’t watch Baywatch—I must have been doing something the night it was on—so I don’t have a lot of familiarity with Ms. Anderson’s body of work. Many of the roasters made extensive references to a video the Ms. Anderson made with her boyfriend, a musician named Tommy Lee. Unfortunately, I missed seeing that video, also. I hoped to learn a little about Ms. Anderson, but most of the roasters used a plethora of language that the network felt necessary to censor, so their stories were difficult to follow.

As for Ms. Anderson, she is obviously a nice looking woman with voluminous tetons and a discernible degree of pride in them. It is as if she was saying, “Look at these!”

Now, Mr. Lee, who appears to be a man of average stature, was praised by many of the roasters as being a man of considerable size. They say that television makes one look ten pounds heavier, but obviously Mr. Lee is an exception to that rule.

Also prominent in the roast was Courtney Love. By some of the comments made, it is apparent that Ms. Love possibly once had a substance abuse problem, although she denied that it was still an active problem with her. I am concerned, by her detached mindset, that Ms. Love might not yet have shaken her demons.

Jimmy Kimmel seemed to be the host of the event as he came back onstage a number of times. I have to assume that he and Adam Corolla are a gay couple, not, of course, that there is anything wrong with that. I know I have seen them together on television, but until last night I was not aware of their close relationship. Kimmel described how Corolla had performed a graphic and “unnatural” sex act with him. I thought that was somewhat out of place on a television program.

Overall I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed with Ms. Anderson’s celebrity roast. Perhaps it would have been funnier if it would have been on HBO so the language would not have had to be censored. Possibly it would have been better if the roasters would have watched their language a little more so less would have been cut out, and it would have made more sense.

Of course, had I been more familiar with Ms. Anderson’s work, I might have thought this thing was funny as hell. As it was, I was kind of on the outside looking in and wondering whether I should have been looking.

At least, that is our perspective in Jimbo’s world.

No comments: